Sunday, September 11, 2011

Green Chile Stew

I went to the farmer's market the other day with some friends in Dillon. I bought some fresh fire roasted chilies so I made some green chili today for dinner. I have tried several recipes for green chili before and this one is my favorite. I have changed the recipe to a crock pot recipe which makes it super easy. It is great just to eat like a stew with tortillas to dip in it or it is also excellent to use to smother burritos or chimichangas.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs. boneless pork, cut into chunks to fit into crockpot
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 (7oz) cans green chilies chopped, or 2 cups roasted, peeled and chopped green chilies
1 Jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup chicken or beef broth

Heat olive oil in frying pan and add onion and garlic. Once softened add flour. Stir for 1 min. Put onion mixture in crockpot and add all other ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Before serving take out pork chunks and shred add back to pot and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I made this. I loved this. my family was not thrilled. I can't figure it out. crazy people wouldn't love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for my work chili cookoff and won first place for green chili....Yay!

    ReplyDelete